CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Back Home

Anna and I have made it back to Houston! It is great to be back in my house. My parents are with us this weekend and my mom let me sleep through the night last night. It felt so good. Anna is still waking up around 3 or 4.



Where to begin. Anna and I had a smooth flight to Chicago. She slept for about 4 hours, me less than that. She was in the the baby bassinet under the movie screen on the plane and she would start kicking the screen in her sleep. I would wake up to calm her feet down and then try to go back to sleep. An uneventful flight, yeah!



It was cool going through immigration and getting the paperwork done to make her a US citizen. The officers were really kind to us and anna was a charmer.



Our greeting party was the best part. The boys were so ecstatic about meeting Anna. Lots of hugs, kisses, pictures, touches all on the floor of O'Hare airport. They were full of observations and questions. "she's so bald" "her mouth is so cute" "are these her toes?" "mommy, she just said uh" They fought over whe got to sit next to her at meals. I think Jonathan almost changed his mind as his plate at Boston market narrowly missed a disatrous crash to the floor. She is so fast and will crash anything to the floor that is in her reach.



Daniel' surgery went really well. Hopefully we won't have to do more. The surgeon seemed really pleased with his work, always a good sign. Daniel has been in pretty good spirits since his brothers arrived. We'll show him his ear when it has a bit of time to heal. He's been great about keeping on his bandage and not complaining.

We did lots of stuff in Chicago to keep us moving. We went to the zoo and the aquarium. Chris and Jonathan also made it to the Museum of Science and Industry. Jonathan and Sam went to the Field museum with Grandma and Grandpa while the rest of us went to the doctor. It was a very full day. Chicago will kill you with parking costs. I think there are literally no free places to park in all of downtown Chicago.

We have had a relatively low key day in Houston. We took Anna to meet Meemaw, her 91 year old great grandmother who has been anxiously awating her arrival. Anna was shy but did clap and smile when Meemaw made her baby noises. Babies love Meemaw.

Anna and I are going to take it easy tomorrow. We will go back to church next week when we have a little more sleep in our systems and our boys at home. She didn't much like being surrounded by our friendly neighbors last night. She's getting used to it but even laughter makes her jump. She collapses like a wet rag on my chest and looks around till she thinks it's safe to sit up again. We are so thankful that she has attached to us and sees us as her safety blankets. Speaking of blankets, she hates soft things. Throws stuffed animals away from her with a look of disgusted terror on her face. Something to work through, I guess.

Sorry no pictures but Daddy has both cameras in Michigan. Thanks so much for everyones prayers and encouraging comments. God has been tremendously gracious to us through this entire process. Only 5 more days until we can be at home together!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica, she is just beautiful. I am so glad that things are going well at home and that you have a few days of relative calm before the rest of the family returns. Good mommy-daughter bonding time!

Melissa

RandomMusings said...

Monica,
I have loved sharing this journey with you all. What sweet answers to prayer. Lily and I have talked often about what the first meeting would be like between Anna and the boys! Hope you get some good rest during these next days. We're praying for sweet reunions and bonding with everybody. Love, Dayne (for all the Otto's)

Unknown said...

I have been following your journey on your blog for the last couple months and I've loved watching things unfold. God is so good! Enjoy your precious daughter!

The Walmer Family said...

I am so excited to meet Anna! She is beautiful! I've loved reading the blogs so far!

Amy Daniel said...

Monica,
I found your blog through Julie Ernst Metcalf's blog... so glad I did! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you and your family! I will be praying for you all in the coming months as you adjust and really gel as a family!

Amy Mitchell Daniel

Cindi said...

Monica,

We have enjoyed your journey. Your daughter is precious. My wife and I are leaving July 15th to go to China for our daughter. She, too, is in Nanchang area, Jianxin SWI. We are with AWAA as well. Would love to ask you a few questions since you are just back. You can visit our blog and use the E-mail me button so we could begin a dialogue. We would really appreciate it.

Cindi said...

Just read your April post about Anna's name. Beautiful. Our daughter is Ahna (short o sound), but the Prophetess Anna in Luke first inspired the name; they have the same roots.
Your family has had an amazing summer! I hope everyone is settling in and that the transition is so smooth. Praying that your son who had surgery will heal quickly.
My husband posted yesterday about your trip, since we are traveling to Nanchang, as well. Our departure is July 15! I believe he wanted to check with you about the hotel you stayed at in Guangzhou, to see if you were pleased.
You have so much "on your plate" right now, don't feel like we need a response. If you have time, you can just email us through the blog.
Sorry for the lengthy post. Many, many blessings to you!
One more thing - my husband's parents are moving to Houston in August!
Cindi